Friday, October 5, 2012

Food on Friday: Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup

The other day I posted this on Instagram.



And then I had multiple requests for the recipe.

Wow. (I'm flattered!)

Well, okay then--I can't argue with my friends and followers when they ask for it. I always thought potato soup recipes were a dime a dozen, but if you want mine, here. I'll add it to the online collection.

Sorry I didn't take more pictures. I wasn't planning on posting this because I didn't use a recipe (real big surprise there, huh...) and these measurements are estimates of what I actually used. But it is really good and the simple flavor goes perfectly with that strong savor of sourdough bread. It's a perfect comfort food meal and it was exactly what I wanted last Sunday evening. It took all of 10 minutes to throw in the crock pot, put on the lid, and turn it on to high. Prepare it in the morning and enjoy it later.

..............................................................................

Easy, Cheesy, Basic Potato Soup
Makes 6-8 servings. (Hooray for leftovers!)

1 can cream of mushroom soup
milk (use 2 cans-worth after soup can is empty)
water (use 1 1/2 cans-worth after soup can is empty)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 large potatoes, diced (1/2 inch thick)
carrots sliced (1/4 inch thick)
1-2 cups chopped broccoli (frozen or fresh)
1/3 cup sliced green onions
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt (+/- as you want it flavored)
2 tsp ground black pepper
shredded cheddar or colby-jack cheese

Pour cream of mushroom soup, milk, water, and flour into crock pot. Stir, dissolving flour and mixing liquids. Add potatoes, carrots, broccoli, green onions, garlic, butter, salt, and pepper. Stir and evenly mix seasonings and vegetables. Cook on high for 6-7 hours (depending on how well you like your potatoes and carrots cooked; I like mine cooked but not mushy, so I went with 6 hours).

Top with shredded cheese after scooping into bowls. Serve with hot, buttery sourdough bread (slice, butter, wrap in foil and bake at 300 F for an hour--do this during the last hour of cooking soup).

..............................................................................


I just made this one up depending on what I had in my pantry and fridge. It's a pretty easy and basic potato soup base, so feel free to modify it to your own needs/wants.

Try adding bacon or ham, different kinds of cheese (Parmesan sounds good to me), yellow instead of green onions, a couple teaspoons of garlic salt or powder instead of fresh garlic, add fresh mushrooms, use cream of chicken soup if you don't like mushroom, etc. The possibilities are pretty endless.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment